Lesson 79 – When the Spirit Is Tested

Acts 5:9

"Then Peter said to her, 'How is that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out."

    As I read of how Ananias and Sappihira attempted to steal God's glory by withholding money from a land sell promised to God, I'm not so much surprised by their actions but by the Lord's fatal response.

    Where is the God of second chances I read so much about in the New Testament and love to preach to our congregation? What does it mean for a believer to so egregiously "test the Lord"? Would the Lord also withdraw my life and witness because of one sinful action before the church?

    These are difficult questions that may beyond our full understanding, but what I can know for sure is I want my life to be lived in the fear and reverence of the Lord. This is the life that dares not steal God's glory, whether in financial affairs, the praise of man, or any other means. When we instead focus is on the recipient of our worship and not on the blessings of our relationship with God, we'll be protected from willingly testing the Spirit.

    The willingness of the heart seems to be the key. In the Old Testament, God outlines the requirements for sacrifices that foreshadow grace in Jesus Christ, but he directed no sacrifice to atone for those who willingly enter into sin. Instead, sacrifices were only for unintended sins. My take on this is that God specifically wanted his people to yearn for grace, realizing that a sacrifice for this type of sin still remained.

    You see, when we intentionally sin, it is only as God willingly chooses to forgive, even when he has no rationale for doing so, that God receives all the glory. Could it be that the testing of the Holy Spirit comes every time we willingly enter into sin? If so, we are just like this couple, deserving of God's judgment and death, without hope and unworthy of God's love in every way.

    But this is where unmerited favor, God's grace and mercy, comes upon us. And that my friend causes me to cling even more to my Savior.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your decision to bring your grace into my life. I confess I am unworthy of your love, having tested your Spirit over and over in my life. Once again, I come before your throne seeking forgiveness and restoration. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment