Lesson 64 – When the Spirit Testifies

John 15:26

"But when the Helper comes, who I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."

    "I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God." That's the way a witness begins their testimony in a court of law. Truth is at stake and nothing but less than truthfulness is required.

    Jesus lets us know that in terms of spiritual matters, it is the Holy Spirit which represents truth in the lives of every believer today. The Spirit is God's message of truth concerning Jesus Christ. The Spirit is God's presence of truth abiding in us. The Spirit is God's assurance of truth in the face of every lie. The Spirit is truth and is given to us to keep us on the path of truth.

    To testify is to speak of what one has experienced first-hand. Any other witness is excluded as being unreliable. As a preacher, I proclaim the truth of Jesus Christ, but it is the Spirit who testifies of the truth in the hearts of listeners. People don't respond to my testimony of Christ, they respond to the Spirit.

    Still, Jesus goes on to say in the next verse that we will also be witnesses of Christ, "And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning." Since you and I were not with Christ as disciples, our testimony will be of the Spirit's work in our lives. That is what we've experienced first-hand, and that is where we have our most reliable witness. Anything else is hearsay and unreliable.

    It's a marvelous truth to know the Spirit of truth dwells within the heart of every believer, serving as a witness of God's love, mercy and compassion for those who cast their faith on Jesus Christ.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for the Truth living within me. May my voice never override your testimony so that others may know Jesus through me and your witness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment