Lesson 70 – When the Spirit Fulfills a Promise

Acts 1:4-5

"And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, 'which,' He said, 'you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

    Jesus was very clear in his last words to his disciples. They were to wait for the Promise of the Father. Not a promise which would come as a surprise, but the same Promise taught to them by the words of Christ. The Spirit of God was coming, requested by the Son, sent by the Father, and coming over believers in a spiritual baptism.

    Mostly likely, everybody has either failed to keep a promise or felt the sting of a broken promise. I think there is something very personal about a promise. I see a promise as invoking character. When a promise is kept, the one receiving the promise feels honored that the other cared enough to keep the promise. Likewise, the one keeping the promise is glorified for keeping their word.

    The Spirit's touch upon the Church fulfilled the Father's promise to send Christ's presence so that believers would not be left alone. In this promise, both the Church and Christ are glorified.

    I've always found this truth to be comforting. Whenever my mind starts trying to convince me I've no real value in the vastness of the universe, or that God could never really care about the minute details of my life, I'm reminded I'm of so much value God made a promise to abide with me. The Promise of Father was intended not only for the disciples, but for every believer!

    While it's humbling to remember that the God of this universe cares so much that he arranged for Christ's presence in the Spirit to dwell with us continually, it is also equally comforting to know we'll never be alone, even when others forsake our friendship.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for the Promise, for in your promise I know your eternal love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment