Lesson 228 – When the Spirit Becomes Might and Power

When the Spirit BECOMES MIGHT AND POWER

Zechariah 4:5-7

"Then the angel who talked with me answered and said to me, 'Do you not know that these are?' And I said, 'No, my lord.' So he answered and said to me: 'This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.' 'Who are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbable you shall become a plain! And he shall bring forth the capstone with shouts of grace, grace to it!'"

In one of the Bible's apocalyptic texts, Zechariah was challenged by a series of visions concerning times to come which he could not fully understand. And while neither can we, I invite you to look for a moment at what it says concerning the Spirit's touch.

In the midst of these visions, Zechariah receives a personal message to pass to Zerubbabel, the governor of Israel. As the leader of those who returned from Bablylonian captivity, he surely needed encouragement. It must have seemed that rebuilding the nation was an impossible task.

I often need encouragement, whether from God's word, my coworkers, or those in our church. Words of encouragement focus my thoughts on truth and not those feelings which so often overwhelm me. I's convinced Satan and his demons use our feelings against us, knowing that is we listen to our feelings instead of the Lord, we'll never know the victory which is promised to us in the Spirit.

Here, God sends word to Zerubbabel that he need not worry, for the Spirit would surely accomplish God's word. Specifically, the Spirit would become the might and power needed in the face of Israel's enemies and the enormous challenge facing them. With the Spirit on his side, mountains would be cast aside until they became plains. Now that is might and power!

Jesus says much the same in the New Testament as declared that with God, all things are possible, to include the salvation of unworthy sinners and the sustainment of the church. In the face of persecution and media skepticism, not only will the church survive, it will overcome the gates of hell through the might and power of the Spirit.

I suspect we all need some of this might and power in our lives. If you'll look to the Spirit, it is there for you when you submit your life to God's daily will.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for the might and power of your Spirit in your church. May we fully trust in you to do the work you lay before us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment