Lesson 224 – When the Spirit Is Good

Psalm 143:10

"Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness."

The psalmist reminds us it is the Spirit's touch which teaches us to do God's will in our lives. As we accept this perfect will, we agree with the psalmist that the Spirit is good. On the other hand, when we rebel against God's will, we are in essence saying the Spirit is not good.

Of course, the Spirit is good whether we believe it or not, since goodness is part of God's nature. In him, there is no evil at all. His will remains perfect in all things.

As believers, we don't always embrace the goodness of the Spirit nor God's will. While we'd never come right out and accuse God of being less than good, when it comes to wanting our own way, we're masters at changing the circumstances so that our will gets done.

Sometimes, we even have the audacity to give God thanks for what we've received, when it reality, it was our own doing that made things happen! I wonder if this grieves our Lord or makes him chuckle at our naivety.

In many ways, we're like our children when they don't think we know what's going on. Our God is often like that, allowing us our own way, letting us stumble along, but all the time desiring for us to turn back to the goodness of the Spirit.

I suspect that the key to contentment in life is to come to grips with the goodness of the Spirit. We'd do well to spend time each day thanking the Spirit for his perfect will in our lives.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for the goodness of your Spirit and your perfect will for my life and for your church. I ask you to continuously draw me to you and not allow me to go from the way of uprightness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment