Lesson 222 – When the Spirit Is Poured Out on the Church

Joel 2:28-29

"And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days."

God's promise is to pour out his Spirit. God's promise is to put the Spirit's touch upon humanity. God's promise is that his word would come to those who are his church. God's promise was fulfilled at Pentecost with the coming of the Spirit in power. God's Spirit was poured out in those days.

As the church of Jesus Christ, we look back to the coming of the Spirit and rightly desire for a renewed filling in the church today. And rightly so, for when this prophesy of Joel was fulfilled, those were exciting days for the church.

Today, we need a renewal of the Spirit. We need for God to do a work both in and through us for the glory of the kingdom.

We talk about taking action to grow the church. We talk about helping believers to grow in spiritual maturity. We talk about giving away God's love to those in need. But the truth is, we can do none of these things on our own. We need the Spirit to be poured out on us just as was promised by Joel.

I wonder what it would be like to pastor a church where the Spirit was being poured out. I'm sure all would be done for the glory of God and the name of Christ would be raised up through our praises.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for the first pouring out of your Spirit on the church, and I likewise thank you for again pouring your Spirit on the church today. I invite you to continue to work through us by the power of your Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment