Lesson 129 – When the Spirit Demonstrates

1 Corinthians 2:4-5

"And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."

Paul writes about one of the primary goals of preachers who seek to honor their Lord…that our preaching not be about us, but instead be solely about what the Spirit's demonstration of God's power through us. Otherwise, the pressure on preachers to convince others to come to a faith in Christ would be an overwhelming task, and most certainly one at which we would all fail.

Quite frankly, I'm more than a little humbled to think about God speaking through me by the Holy Spirit. I'm certainly not worthy to be used as the Lord's voice, and I can assure you I never am as prepared as I should be when I stand to preach. Of course, that's why we have to be surrendered to the Spirit's touch. Otherwise, there would be no fruits in our ministries, or those fruits would be limited to our own abilities.

While not all believers are preachers, this concept of being used in a demonstration of the Spirit's power is one which applies to all Christians. Our God delights in taking the life of one surrendered to the Lord's work and using them in a means which can only be explained by a supernatural outpouring of the Spirit. As believers, we need to be constantly telling ourselves that our ministries are not our own, but belong to the Lord, inviting the Spirit to work through us.

Likewise, we need to learn to get out of the Spirit's way, even while being used of God. Of course, that isn't as easy to do as it is to write about. Our egotistical selves are always trying to rise to the forefront of our ministries. Sure, we like it when others praise our abilities and have to wrestle against thinking about how others are viewing us, even as we are speaking out for the Lord, even when under the leadership of the Spirit.

For Paul, he had to watch his words lest they got in way of the Spirit. That would be a good practice for all of us.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for choosing to work through my life. I invite you to remind my heart at all times to get out of your way so that your powers are demonstrated through my humility. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment