Lesson 131 – When the Spirit Teaches

1 Corinthians 2:13-14

"These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them because they are spiritually discerned."

How can I be sure that my sermons are of God? How can I know that my ministry is pleasing in God's sight? How can I know if my words are according to truth. Every preacher wonders those things, and Paul gives us an answer. We can know we've met God's will for our sermons when the words we speak are according to the Spirit's touch.

A trustworthy servant of God speaks not according to his own opinions, or in accordance with feelings, or inward thoughts, but speaks as taught by the Spirit. Only the Spirit leads us rightly to know spiritual matters which we can then preach to our congregations.

It's a good thing God does this for us, for without the Spirit living within, the things of God are simply foolishness and we'd never choose to say them. They are either too childish to really be the path to heaven, or we find them too fantastic to be believable. Either way, without the Spirit's testimony, or teaching, we cannot receive the things of God, and neither can those who come under our preaching.

I'm sometimes asked how one knows if he has the faith needed for salvation. I think the answer is also given to us here. If you've been drawn to spiritual things by the Spirit and are willing to receive the truth of God's word, you've been give the teaching you need by the Spirit for salvation.

So whether a preacher who speaks the things of God, or a layman in the pew, seeking to please God through faith, we can both know the things of God through the Spirit's teaching.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for teaching my heart the things of your heart through the Spirit. May I faithfully receive and preach these things as you reveal them to me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment