Lesson 190 – When the Spirit Is Quenched

1 Thessalonians 5:19

"Do not quench the Spirit."

What a simple verse, one which I've heard most of my life. Do not quench the Spirit. Don't throw cold water on the burning power of God within the church. Don't put out the fire of the Spirit's touch.

Realize now that you have the very real ability to quench the Spirit. While God reigns supreme, the Spirit is not willing to overcome one who does not welcome him daily. God doesn't force himself upon us, even on those who have committed themselves to following after Jesus Christ.

I confess that I've felt this quenching of the Spirit, and admit it mostly happens when I've done one of several things. Whenever I seek after sin instead of seeking after my Lord, the Spirit's power in me is put out. Whenever I forsake God in worship, or quit looking into the perfect law of the Lord, the Spirit withdraws his power. When prayer becomes an afterthought, the Spirit is doused with cold water and no longer burns within me.

Even within our church, we seek self over sacrificial service for Christ and others, we lose the power of Spirit.

Be warned. Life will get harder when we quench the Spirit. Without the leadership of the Spirit over our lives, we'll find ourselves wandering in a spiritual desert, lost and without hope.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for the power of the Spirit and ask you to remind me daily of your desire to burn within me and your church. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment