Lesson 20 – When the Spirit Makes You Beloved

Mark 1:9-11

It came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And immediately, coming up from the water, He saw the heavens parting and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove. Then a voice came from heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

To be called the beloved son of God would be the high point in any believer's journey through this life! For Jesus, his praise from the Father came at the beginning of his cross-shortened, three-year ministry. For you and I, we'll probably not hear these same words until we stand in eternity before God's throne.

Notice it was immediately after the Spirit descended upon Christ to touch his life that God made known his pleasure in Christ. Not that Jesus needed the Spirit upon him to be made sinless, but I think it is always been God's intention that he commune with mankind through the Spirit.

While we may not hear God's voice until after our physical deaths, we can be assured that with the touch of the Spirit upon us, we too are pleasing to God. We are the beloved sons and daughters of the Father and God still communes with his own through the Spirit.

I think we need to be more conscious of the fact that we're only pleasing to God when the Spirit has descended upon us. The next time you realize God's love for you, remember that it is through the Spirit's touch that we've become pleasing to God and beloved of him.

LORD JESUS

I thank you now for your Spirit's presence on my life, for I know that without the Spirit, my life could never be pleasing to you. May I live today and tomorrow as the beloved son of God, all for your glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment