Lesson 17 – When the Spirit Goes With You

Exodus 33:13-16

Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people." And He said, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." Then he said to Him, "If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here. For how then will it be known that Your people and I have found grace in Your sight, except You go with us? So we shall be separate, Your people and I, from all the people who are upon the face of the earth."

Notice God's promise to go with his new nation. Israel's journey across the desert was just beginning, but they would not go alone. But it was no longer just a pillar of fire by night or a cloud by day to lead them. There was no longer the promise of an angel out-front to point the way. Neither were they to look somehow to an image of God's grace to bring them comfort. Now they have the promise of God's literal Presence. The family of God, the New Testament Church of Jesus Christ, has God's word on it. God's Presence is with his people.

Of course, the Presence of God is none other than the Holy Spirit. Moses recognized what we learn in the New Testament - When and where God bestows grace, he sends the Spirit. When God gives forgiveness to a sin stained life, he does it through his Presence. When God brings rest to a hurting heart, it is his touch of the Spirit which makes all the difference. When God separates a people to be his very own, he marks us with this same Presence, the Spirit of the living God with us. When God goes with you, it is always as the Presence.

In spite of the benefits we have from a modern education, Moses proved to be a lot smarter than most of us. He recognized that his mission of leading Israel to a new land was doomed to failure without the Spirit's touch. Without the Presence of God going with them there was no need to even take one more step! Moses knew that they might as well give it up, for in man's strength, God's missions can never be successful.

O that we would learn this same lesson. Never step out to do the Lord's work without the assurance of the Presence with you. Don't even think of doing the work of the Kingdom without the Spirit's touch. Going in your own strength not only invites failure, but steals God's glory for yourself.

So how do we know the Presence is going with us? First, be assured that when and where God directs you to go, his Spirit will be there with you. Second, know that when you seeks God's wisdom, the Spirit is always there to answer. And third, do simply as Moses did - Talk with God. He'll let you know when and where he is going. You simply need to step up and follow along on the journey.

LORD JESUS

I invite you to lead me in the goings of my life. What a wonderful promise it is to know that your Presence is there to lead me. May I never take a step without you. May I always seek to follow. May I never read life's road map without your wisdom to guide me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment