Lesson 165 – When the Spirit Gives Fruit

GALATIANS 5:22

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

Most believers have looked at this verse at some point to evaluate how it applies to their own level of spiritual maturity. We rightly understand that it is only by the fullness of the Spirit in us that we can consistently display these traits in our lives. When the Spirit's touch is continuously upon us through a life of faith, our very natures are changed so that we reflect God's nature now living in us.

Still, it's not surprising that most of us come up short of these lofty spiritual attributes. After all, our salvation is a process that continues beyond the point of initial faith, with the Scriptures telling us to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling." And it is only by submitting to the Spirit's leadership in all aspects of life that we begin to be changed by God's presence.

Just as when two have been married for many years begin to look and act alike, so it is with the believer who is spends time in the presence of the Spirit. While our natures are not yet fully changed, the process of change has begun, and we begin to be like our Lord.

When the Lord comes again, we're promised to be changed in the twinkling of an eye to possess the nature of Christ as the Lord drives the sin out of our hearts.

I so look forward to that day, but in the mean time, I've got no excuse. I need to invite the Spirit to change me through the lessons of faith the Lord would bring to me.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you once again for the Spirit in my life. I invite you to do whatever is necessary to conform me to your image to hasten the fruits of the Spirit in me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment