Lesson 157 – When the Spirit Delights

ISAIAH 42:1

"Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles."

The one on whom God delights is the one on whom he puts his Spirit—even Jesus Christ. Isaiah prophesies that the coming Messiah, the Elect One, would be a delight to God's soul. In this delight, God would put his Spirit upon him.

It is this same Spirit which dwells in every believer, showing that we too are the ones on whom God delights. Sure, we know we're not worthy of the Lord's delight, even sometimes fearful that God will somehow wake up and change his mind about us, but God's word is true. The Lord is faithful, and he has decided to delight in us.

The Spirit's touch is all the proof we need of God's choice. We don't need to rely on feelings to tell us the truth. We don't need any other proof by the Spirit which testifies of God's delight.

I've always loved to say aloud this word "delight". It rolls off my tongue, particularly when I stress the first syllable, saying it as "dee-lite". I just can't say it without my face breaking out into a smile. I think the eternal Father also has a smile on his face when he speaks of his delight for the church of Jesus Christ. This is what we were created for, and by faith in Christ we're restored to be the ones on whom God delights.

Just as God sent his Spirit in the form of the dove on Christ at his baptism, and testifying of his delight, so he does for each one of his own. With the Spirit's touch, we've become the delight of our God.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for delighting in me and in your church. Help me to remember this delight all the days of my life Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment