Lesson 60 – When the Spirit Is on My Tongue

2 Samuel 23:1-2

"Now these are the last words of David. Thus says David the son of Jesse; thus says the man raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel: 'The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and his word was on my tongue.'"

    This is a great proof text for the inspiration of God's word. At least a thousand years before Paul would write that all Scripture is God-breathed, David lays claim to the inspiration of the Bible. Among David's last words, at the end of a long and productive life, he makes clear that his poems were not his own, but the very words of the Spirit upon his tongue.

    While God used the hands of humanity to write the Holy Scriptures, allowing them to choose the words and grammar and context of the texts, let there be no doubt it was the touch of the Spirit upon these authors that brought about the Bible. As with David, the Spirit of the Lord chose to speak through one of humanity to all humanity. Who knows, maybe this is the only way we could relate to God's truth, being creatures fallen in sin.

    As a preacher of the Word, I cling to this same promise, that my words would be the very words of the Spirit. Otherwise, I'm just another person giving a passionate speech on a dear subject.

    Sometimes, I'm rather sure of this truth, as the very presence of God is felt in our worship services, and in particular when I'm preaching. Other times, I'm just as sure my words were not of the Spirit, as I fumble through some ill-timed joke while trying to save an obscure sermon point. But the majority of the time, I simply lay claim to David's testimony that the words I preach are the words of the Spirit upon my tongue. Surely this is truth, whether I sense the Spirit's presence or not, or whether the congregation gives any visible response.

    In a sense, God uses the mouths of believers to be his mouth. We speak the words of Christ, as ordained by the Father, through the moving of the Spirit upon our tongues. Think for a moment about how much we talk, write, text, e-mail or instant message in a given day. How much of this conversation is ordained by the Spirit and how much is ordained from ourselves?

    As believers, we need to seek the Spirit to be upon our tongues. Only this control will bring glory to our Lord.

LORD JESUS

Lord, I thank you for your words within me. May I never preach according to my own mind, but always according to your Spirit upon my tongue. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment