Lesson 37 – When the Spirit Causes Rejoicing

Luke 10:21

In that hour, Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to bases. Even so, Father for so it seemed good in Your sight."

    Everyone I know wants to find real, lasting joy, me included, so I ask, when does the Spirit cause rejoicing in the life of a believer? There's a hint for us in this passage. Notice that Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit when he came to agree with the Father in prayer. Could it be that simple? Could simply aligning my will with the Lord's in prayer bring about joy in my heart? I think so.

    The Spirit touches a believer unto rejoicing when we prayerfully agree with God's outlook for goodness in what he is doing in our life and in this world. Even in this text, where it is hard to understand why God would hide truth from humanity, Jesus finds joy in the Spirit as he agrees with God's intent that is was good to do so.

    Surely it is the same in our relationship with God. Even when times are confusing, or we can't see good from what God is allowing to come into our lives, when we simply agree with God that his actions toward us are good, we're touched by the Spirit and caused to rejoice in our hearts. It appears to me that the trigger for this rejoicing is the act of prayer. Not a petition for what we want, but rather a coming to the Father and telling him you agree with what he is doing, because everything he does is for good.

    In this day and age when we're programmed to find joy in life's successes, accumulations and even adventures, it is best to look back to finding joy in a Spiritual way, claiming our belief in God's goodness. Join me in trying this formula the next time life is getting your down. Claim God's goodness as your own and see if it doesn't bring about a touch of the Spirit unto rejoicing.

LORD JESUS

May my heart be inclined to agree with you as to the goodness of what you are brining into my life, even when it is beyond my understanding or does not line up with my ideas for goodness.. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment