Lesson 32 – When the Spirit Reveals

Luke 2:26-27

And it had been revealed to him (Simeon) by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ. So he came by the Spirit into the temple."

    Most of us will never experience a revealing of God's plan in action as bestowed upon this elderly man of Jerusalem. Simeon had waited his entire life for God to be revealed in flesh. In some way or manner, he had been promised by the Holy Spirit he would see Jesus Christ before he came to the end of his own life.

    I suspect, Simeon's friends and neighbors thought him crazy. "You know, God doesn't speak to ordinary people this way. You're no prophet!" "Who are you to claim to have heard such a word from God? You're not any more important than we are. If God were speaking, we would have all heard!"

    As much as I hate to admit, I'd probably have been no different than the crowd. While I believe in the supernatural power of God to speak, because I've not experienced it first-hand, I wrongly assume God must not speak to people this way.

    Of course, the truth of God's word tells us God chose to speak to an ordinary man to reveal to him the coming of Christ. And God still chooses to speak to us in the very same way--through the working of the Holy Spirit. How often the Spirit wants to reveal God's will to us and we're not really ready to hear. Maybe we're just not expecting God to speak at all. Or, more likely, we're not listening. Too many other things have our attention and God can't be heard above the din of life.

    And not only did God speak to Simeon through the Spirit, he also led him by this same Spirit into the temple at the very moment when Joseph and Mary brought Jesus in to be dedicated unto God. You see, when God speaks, we'd best be listening, because God has something going on that we need to be a part of!

LORD JESUS

I invite your Spirit to speak into my heart. I open myself to hear from you and obey your command. Lord, may my heart not be so cold towards others who claim to have heard your voice in ways I think improbable. For you choose to speak in various ways. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment