Lesson 14 – When the Spirit Advises

Genesis 41:37-38

So the advice was good in the eyes of Pharaoh and in the eyes of all his servants. And Pharaoh said to his servants, "Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?"

Consider what Pharaoh and his entourage saw in the life of Joseph. It wasn't the grief of a man who was sold into slavery by his very brothers. It wasn't the broken spirit of one wrongly imprisoned for attempting to rape his Egyptian master's wife. It wasn't a man pleading his innocence or thumping his chest as he claimed to be a seer of the Lord Most High.

So, what did Pharaoh see? I think he witnesses the humility of one who had not only been touched by the Spirit, but the life of one who followed the Spirit's advice. Joseph's advice was good in the eyes of Pharaoh. No doubt, that advice came as Pharaoh noted from the Spirit of God!

O that every believer would hear the advice of the Spirit living within us. O that every believer would not only hear, but would be yielded to the Spirit's direction. O that every believer would not only be yielded, but would remain faithful to God even when that direction leads us to trial.

Joseph could have easily given up all hope while in prison. He could have accused God of abandoning him. I've seen it many times. When life grows difficult, those who aren't listening for the Spirit's advice turn and run from God's direction. These are the believers who drop out of the church, seemingly no longer a part of the body of Christ.

I wonder how our lives would be different if we asked the Spirit to clearly show us Godly advice. I'm not talking about just going to God for those big decisions, but allowing the Spirit to speak while we wait in humility for his voice throughout the day. Not that our daily living patterns would change every day, but we'd be just like Joseph, ready to heed whenever the Spirit gives direction.

Like so many others, I'm not very good at taking advice. After all, I can think for myself and like to think I do a pretty good job at it most of the time. Probably so for you as well, but wouldn't it be all the more for God's glory if we learned to yield to the Spirit's advice so that others see God in us?

LORD JESUS

I invite you touch my life so that I hear your advice. I know my own desires too often get in the way. I get too busy to listen. I'm too troubled to pray. I'm too engaged with others to spend time with you. O that my heart would be changed so that I follow your every direction. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment